Cannon Beach
Home About Us Events History Center Gift Shop & Membership Kids Place Contact Us
And Museum
The CANNONS

 

The following links and narrative provide useful information on all three cannons of Arch Cape.

USS Shark Opens Portal to the Past

Carronade

USS Shark Diagram

The Original Cannon and the USS Schooner Shark
The U .S. Naval schooner Shark, part of the surveying fleet under Lieutenant Neil M. Howison, arrived off the mouth of the Columbia River after a 25-day passage from Honolulu, in August, 1846. John Lattie, one of the few in the area with a genuine knowledge of bar passages, was summoned to the ship to guide her into safe haven off the Astor Colony.

Trouble plagued the arrival of the ship to present-day Astoria. Anxiety over the boundary question--involving the United States and Great Britain--had started rumors among settlers that war was near and that the arrival of the Shark was a war precaution and not a survey mission. The crew members, weary from long months at sea, began deserting, and replacements were unobtainable. Hard as they tried, the officers were unable to bribe the townspeople of the Astor Colony to divulge the hiding places of the deserters.

On September 10, without taking proper precautions, the vessel weighed anchor. Crossing the bar, she struck the outlying fangs of Clatsop Spit, this time with a death-dealing blow. The waters were not calm as on her inward trek, and the ship shuddered and trembled while mounting breakers drove into her wooden hull. With her weight fastening her to the bottom, she was working on the sands.

Captain Schenck was gravely concerned. He ordered the three masts chopped down and all twelve of the ship's cannon jettisoned in an effort to get the ship off the spit. But before these acts could be carried out, the ship began to break up. All hands were ordered to the boats. During the night, the wreck was battered to pieces, parts of it drifting out over the bar. Evidently the crew did not jettison all the cannon, for a large section of the wreck came ashore in the area of present-day Arch Cape, south of Cannon Beach. Fortunately, the crew of the Shark all reached safety and were looked after by the citizens of the Astor Colony.

In October 1846, Lieutenant Howison received information through the Tillamook people that part of the ship's hull "with guns upon it," had come ashore south of Tillamook Head. The lieutenant sent Midshipman Simes to visit the location. Simes reported finding the wreckage and succeeded in "getting one cannon above the high-water mark," while two others were left buried.

Then in December 1863, mail carrier John Hobson reported seeing a cannon at present-day Arch Cape Creek. Soon after, this cannon became lost when tides buried it in sand. In June 1898, however, it was spotted once again-this time by mail carrier George Luce. With the help of his Nehalem neighbors John and Mary Gerritse and their team of horses, Luce succeeded in pulling the cannon out of the sand, after which time it stood in front of the Austin House Post Office in Arch Cape for several years.

{Portions of this narrative were excerpted from Pacific Graveyard, by James A. Gibbs, 1993.}

 

Where is the cannon now?

The cannon and the capstan (a ship’s anchor mount) sat exposed to Oregon’s temperamental weather.  They stood against the gales of 1937 (not even the lens of the Tillamook Rock Lighthouse can say that), witnessed the 1964 tsunami, and again stood strong against the Columbus Day storm in 1962. 

All of these things took their toll on the community’s artifacts.  By the mid-2000’s the Cannon Beach History Center & Museum became the cannon and capstan’s new home.  

In 2012, the state of both of the artifacts became apparent.  Both artifacts had begun to oxidize, and we knew, as stewards of these artifacts, that it was up to us to do something. In particular, pieces of the capstan were turning to dust. 

As soon as the funds were raised both artifacts were sent to Texas A&M University to undergo an extensive conservation process.  The CBHCM didn’t think, we knew we just had to ensure that the artifacts were saved from the rust eating away at them. 

In 2014, upon the artifacts return, the concept of preservation came to our attention.  The humidity and temperature changes of the Oregon Coast were not conducive to ensuring that the artifacts would not rust again.  After the painstaking work of those who conserved the artifacts, and with the community watching, it was clear that we had to display these artifacts with the best possible standards. 

Elevating the Museum’s standards while providing the ideal environment for the cannon in an effort to protect and preserve them from further oxidization. This is why we are reaching out to the public.  We need help to create and install a new exhibit space that will control the proper humidity, temperature, and light exposure so that generations of Oregonians can again visit this town icon. 

While we are aware that this item is considered a "weapon" to some, it has become a symbol of our town as recognized as Haystack Rock, but perhaps not as photographed. 

We hope to create an exhibit that not only explores the history of the artifacts, the USS Shark, but the concept of cultural identity through objects and follow the conservation process through a multimedia display.

To help bring back our town's icon, you can by donating through our website or through our GoFundMe page.

 

*Currently the cannon and capstan are both on display at the Museum. The exhibit is still under construction, but both artifacts can still be viewed. Donations are still being accepted to help finish the exhibit.

 


 

The Cannon Beach History Center & Museum is a non-profit, 501 C-3 tax-exempt corporation (I.D. #94-3140644). 

Sign Up for our Newsletter
Be Sure to Donate Today!
Learn About the Cannons
^ Original cannon in Arch Cape not long after it was
discovered in 1894, at Austin homestead.

^ Picture of cannon in Arch Cape in 1926, on wooden stand.
Children pictured: Juanita Kincaid and Robert Kenney.

^ Freshly uncovered cannon in Arch Cape, February 2008.

^ TWO freshly uncovered cannons in Arch Cape, one
in foreground, one in background, Arch Cape, February 2008.

^ The original cannon on permanent display at the
Cannon Beach History Center and Museum, 2008.